Healthy packed lunch idea: Veggie & sweet potato quinoa salad
It's always so much tastier and healthier - and cheaper - to make your own lunch by putting together all your favorite clean ingredients. But we often forget about it, or maybe it looks too hard to plan in advance or we never have all the right ingredients at hand. This is one area where a little thinking ahead can save you a great deal of money and also end up benefiting your health.
This recipe can be of service for you if you would like to bring your lunch box to the next level. It combines some basic everyday ingredients that match beautifully and taste delicious.
What’s important for you to know are the basics. These are greens, veggies, protein and fat. This principle is very easy to follow when you prepare your box to-go. Which means that you must strive to have greens and some veggies every day (which is a pretty healthy habit after all). Then you just need to choose your protein and fat source. For protein you can choose chicken slices from yesterday, some salmon, egg or some piece of cheese. You can also combine the protein with fat and use half an avocado as an add-in. Here we use quinoa and egg which are both great source of protein, one animal and the other – plant-based.
Quinoa also adds up on the fiber which is great for your gut. Feel free to use beans or lentils in place of the egg or in addition to the ingredients listed, to make for an even heartier dish. As for the veggies – they add more flavors, vitamins and minerals that you can switch according to seasons and what's immediately available in the fridge. When you have taken care of the protein portion have a look at the fat content. If you already have and egg or an avocado just drizzle with some olive oil. If you need more energy during the day you can add more fat and use nuts, seeds and even tahini in your dressing. It all depends on your taste and the energy level you need during the day!
Type: Lunch, Vegetarian
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 15 min
2 cups mixed leafy green salad (arugula, spinach, lettuce, beet greens, etc)
1 cup dried quinoa
½ sweet potato
50 g mushrooms
salt, pepper, olive oil
juice of ½ lemon
sesame seeds for sprinkling
1. Cook quinoa as directed (we recommend cooking a large batch that can be used in a number of other to-go lunches)
2. Rinse the sweet potato and mushrooms. Chop into large chunks and transfer into a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
3. Season with salt and pepper and toss to cover. Roast for 15-20 min in a preheated oven at 200°C
4. Fry an egg according to your liking and set aside.
5. To assemble the meal place greens at the bottom of a lunch box.
6. Add the roasted vegetables and the quinoa. Top with the egg.
7. Season with olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice and sprinkle with some sesame seeds.
Note: You can also prep and roast your veggies the night before so that you can assemble the salad faster in the morning.