Healthy burrito bowl recipe - Fresh, flavorful & perfect for large groups
Burritos! Who doesn’t love them?
Recipes like this are a staple in our house & they pretty much never get old.
They are rich, flavorful, sometimes spicy and always combine your favourite ingredients in one whole meal.
This recipe is ideal for a family or friends gathering as it offers a variety of ingredients that anyone can choose from - great for picky eaters or people who like or need to stick to certain dietary preferences. It is also a great way to add in more colours to your diet without even making an effort.
For the ones that are limiting their refined carbohydrate intake, this is a great option as it omits the wraps and focuses on whole hearty foods that are rich in fibre, vitamins and minerals, and who doesn’t need those?
The cheddar adds an additional flavor and topped with the sour cream it provides a balanced and nutrient-dense meal that can fuel you for hours! If you prefer a dairy free dish, simply leave it off or substitute with a minimally processed dairy free alternative.
It is so easy to assemble and put together that you can have it pre-made in the fridge in a lunch box and just grab it when you are on the go.
Type: Vegetarian, Lunch, Supper (add your favourite meat to make it omnivore)
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 1 h
Serves: 3 people
1 cup basmati rice (or black, wild, white, etc)
½ cup black beans (you can always used canned if you don’t have any slow cooked beans on hand)
1 red bell pepper
50 gr mushrooms
5 cherry tomatoes
100 gr cheddar cheese
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
For the cream sauce:
1 cup sour cream (we often use plain yogurt instead; either will do)
2 sprigs of fresh cilantro
Optional tortilla chips for garnishing
(Skip to step 7 if you are using canned beans or already have beans made)
1. Soak the beans for at least 12 hours.
2. Rinse them well from the soaking water and put them in a small saucepan.
3. Fill up with filtered water and bring to a bowl.
4. When boiling, discard the first water and refill with fresh one.
5. Cook for 30 more minutes until the beans are soft and tender but not mushy.
6. Remove from the heat, season generously with salt and let soak in the salty water to season.
7. Put the rice with 2 cups water and a pinch of salt and cook for 10 min with the lid on.
8. Remove from the heat and let steam for 2 more minutes. Open the lid and stir gently to let the steam out.
9. Rinse all the vegetables well.
10. Cut the lettuce, cherry tomatoes and slice the avocado on a cutting board.
11. Cut the onion in small pieces. Cut pepper and mushrooms roughly.
12. In a frying pan sauce the onion in olive oil. Add the peppers and mushrooms and stir.
13. Season with salt, pepper, coriander and cumin and cook for 5 more minutes. Set aside.
14. To assemble the bowl lay the cooked rice at the bottom of a big serving dish.
15. Arrange the cooked beans, stir-fried veggies, lettuce, tomatoes and avocado slices.
16. Sprinkle the grated cheddar cheese evenly on top.
17. For the cream stir the sour cream with the seasonings and scoop it into the center of the bowl.
18. Garnish with some tortilla chips on the side.
Notes: You can definitely diversify this recipe with whatever you have in the fridge. If you are aiming at more protein intake, add some chopped chicken breast to your bowl for extra nutrition
September: Watch out for our free Healthy Burrito Bowl Recipe eBook
Please share this great recipe with your workout buddies, it's packed with healthy nutrients and good clean energy. Check out our August Workout, its simple and created for all levels of fitness.